Virtual MFA Devices
To enable MFA, you need to log in to AWS using the root user.
Activate virtual MFA devices via Console
To set up and activate virtual MFA devices:
- Sign-in to the AWS Console.
- In the upper right corner, you will see your account name. Click the drop-down and select My Security Credentials.
- Expand Multi-factor authentication (MFA) and select Active MFA.
- In Manage MFA Device, select Virtual MFA device then select Continue.
- Install a compatible Authenticator application on your phone.
- After installing the app, select Show QR Code and use your Authenticator application to scan the QR code.
- Sample MFA registration with Microsoft Authenticator:
- In the MFA code 1 box, enter 6 numeric characters from the app. Wait 30 seconds or until the next refresh, then enter the next 6 characters into the MFA Code 2 box and select Assign MFA.
- You have now completed activating your virtual MFA device!