MFA for AWS Accounts
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Setup
During the authentication process, you will need to utilize three different MFA devices to ensure the security of your account.
Virtual MFA Devices (Smartphone Apps): Install the following apps on your smartphone and set them up for MFA:
- Microsoft Authenticator
- Google Authenticator
- Okta Verify
Hard U2F Security Key: Obtain a hard U2F security key to enhance your account’s security.
Other Hardware MFA Devices (e.g., Gemalto Security Keys): Consider using additional hardware MFA devices for added protection.
1. Setup with Virtual MFA Device
To set up your virtual MFA device using apps on your smartphone, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Install the Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator, and Okta Verify apps on your smartphone.
- Step 2: Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to add your account.
- Step 3: Use the app-generated codes during the MFA authentication process.
2. Setup with U2F Security Key
Setting up your U2F security key involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Obtain a compatible U2F security key.
- Step 2: Connect the key to your device’s USB port.
- Step 3: During authentication, insert the key and follow the prompts to complete the process.
3. Setup with Other Hardware MFA Device
Consider using hardware MFA devices like Gemalto security keys for an extra layer of security:
- Step 1: Acquire a Gemalto security key or a similar hardware device.
- Step 2: Connect and set up the device as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Step 3: Integrate the device into your MFA authentication workflow.
Remember to keep your MFA devices secure and follow best practices to ensure the safety of your account.